|Leadership:||James Barnes, Tribune Emeritus
Javier Sortani, Tribune
|Goals:||To protect and assist the inhabitants of Derby.|
|Recruitment policy:||All outsiders, pirates, and natives willing to follow the Hospitaller code.|
|Contact:||Select the Hospitallers as your clan in-game. Forum participation is preferred. Our forum|
For the good of Derby!
Derby was once a backwater, a settlement without law or defense. No longer! The Knights Hospitaller are an old order, dating back to the Crusades. Now, a group has emerged on Shartak, basing their conduct on the Hospitallers' code of protection and aid. These noble wardens of the peace are dedicated not just to preserving Derbian lives, but improving them.
The Hospitaller Code of Honor
Hospitallers are encouraged to uphold the following code of conduct.
- Hospitallers' first duty is to Derby and its inhabitants. Hospitallers should:
- defend Derby from hostile incursions. Examples include pirate or native raids. The Hospitallers oppose attacks on peaceful pirates or natives within Derby's city limits, particularly in designated safehouses.
- heal wounded Derbians and other wounded outsiders.
- All Hospitallers should maintain a proper sense of decorum. They should refrain from vile language and insults. (Out of character, don't flame people. If someone flames you, responding in kind just makes you and the clan look bad. As for foul language, while there won't be consequences for the occassional slip, excessive foul language is pointless; it makes you look like you aren't smart enough to express yourself in any other way. Basically, act like a mature adult.)
Laws of the Hospitallers
Unlike the code of honor, which is a set of ideals to strive towards, the laws that follow are strictly enforced. Violation may result in immediate expulsion from the Hospitallers.
- Murder of innocents, regardless of origin, is strictly forbidden.
- Practicing the dark art known as "Zerging" is absolutely and utterly forbidden under Hospitaller law.
Tribune Emeritus James Barnes was a Shartak legend, and the island is greatly lessened for his departure. Read a memorial to him here.
Activities in Derby
The Hospitallers run several facilities in Derby. These facilities provide free services to any Derbian who wishes to make use of them.
- The Derby Academy, a two-hut facility next door to the Derby trader's hut.
- The Academy's Gymnasium, located at [-70.094,+26.350].
- The Academy's Lecture Hall, located at [-70.093,+26.350].
- The Derby Hospital, located at [-70.093,+26.352].
- The Derby Pharmacy, also located at [-70.093,+26.352].
The Hospitallers also participate in the Derby Court and sponsor the Derby Lecture Series.
Activities Outside Derby
The Hospitallers do not confine their activities to Derby. Hospitallers are active across the south coast. They:
- Assisted in the defense of Durham during the Durham Headhunt Contest
- Assisted in the defense of York during the Fourth Battle of York and the Dork Cup.
- Sent ambassadors to both York and Durham. We are currently looking for new ambassadors, as both of our previous ambassadors are inactive.
- Founded the Durham Academy (now inactive).
- Took part in the Battle of Midway to drive the WickSick Headhunters from the island of Midway.
Life in the Hospitallers
The Hospitallers require relatively light duty from their members. Capable, willing members may assist in running Derby's public services, or they may start their own (with the the approval of the Hospitaller leadership). Otherwise, Hospitallers are free to do as they please, whether it be enjoying the sights of Derby or wandering through the jungles. The only requirement is that Hospitallers come to Derby when the town is threatened.
All Derbians, whether they are Hospitallers, Privateers, or unaligned, are welcomed at our forum. Newcomers are encouraged to look at our Beginner's Guide.
Durham Pistoleers - since disbanded
1st Derby Privateers - our oldest allies, and fellow members of the Eastern Federation
Derby Rangers - Fellow members of the Eastern Federation
The Octavius Popebury Memorial Expedition of 1886 - The newest members of the Eastern Federation
Greenwolves - The new newest members of the Eastern Federation
York Coalition - A loose affiliation of Yorkish heroes and veterans