This is a general redesign proposal for the navigation found on the main page. It attempts to provide the broadest amount of information in the least amount of links. Most of the sub-article links have been removed. Even the external links have been removed as they are listed in the community portal. --Lint 20:58, 28 May 2006 (BST)
Wow, I've probably visited the Main Page 500 times, and it seems like half of those I went straight through to one of the following pages:
So I was disappointed to see the Camps gradually shrinking and shrinking and disappearing entirely from the Main Page. If I'm heading into a foreign village, I need to be able to get into the Resource Hut & get what I need and move on efficiently. No other pages have such immediate and constant utility. --Tycho44 05:10, 5 June 2006 (BST)
- Yeah, I understand how useful those direct links were. But when I was removing sub-articles I wasn't sure where exactly I should draw the line so I removed them all. I'm generally fine with readding the camps back in underneath the Locations link or create a new menu section. What is your stance on the links to the Bug and Suggestion related articles? --Lint 05:27, 5 June 2006 (BST)
- I think the camps should probably be added again, though I like the rest of Lint's changes. But instead of putting the camps back in a list, why not mention them all in the game description (which already names the native camps and links to them)? — Elembis (talk) 05:32, 5 June 2006 (BST)
Why do we still have the link for the Unofficial forums?
All it does is confuse people that click on it instead of the official. It should be deleted methinks. Or is there a reason why it stays? --Wulla-mullung 21:05, 13 September 2007 (UTC)
- I don't think it should be deleted, because it contains several threads of historical importance. I took the liberty of adding a phrase to deter people from posting there. I couldn't think of a better way to describe the forums as inactive; someone with a better idea should change it. --Oktavius 19:04, 14 September 2007 (UTC)
- hmmm, I just got everything mixed up ^_^. Thought I am editing main page... --Lama 14:42, 24 November 2007 (UTC)
Newspapers in the main page
Two was fine, but now with Jungle Drums things will start to be cluttered. Would it be reasonable to have a separate section for newspapers? --Wulla-mullung 23:42, 21 November 2007 (UTC)
- Another possibility is the removal of the Yorkman from the front page, since that worthy paper has been inactive for months. I left it there out of respect for the role it once played, but we have to move on eventually.--Black Joe 04:03, 22 November 2007 (UTC)
- It would work for a time, but what if more newspapers are created? Saying: Read up on in-game news and gossip in The Forkman, Derby Evening Press, Jungle Drums, York Times, The X times, the blah blah newspaper will be too much of a cram. If we wanted another section the main page, where could it be?--Wulla-mullung 04:29, 22 November 2007 (UTC)
- How about 'Read in-game news and gossip in Newspapers such as the Derby Evening Press and Jungle Drums' with Newspapers being a link to a category page? The most currently active newspapers can be listed as examples (with links to their pages naturally) - keep the number at two to three, worry about it if we ever get more than three active newspapers. --Johan Crichton 23:09, 22 November 2007 (UTC)
- How about changing "Clans" to "In character" or "Role playing" and adding links to newspapers there, as well as other relevant wiki links (historical articles, journals etc.)? --Lama 14:42, 24 November 2007 (UTC)
Current wiki activities
Trading hut stock reports and Search odds haven't been reported since 2006. Time to remove them? There's several other items in the menu whose time has been and gone - time to remove them as well? --Johan Crichton 00:17, 13 February 2008 (UTC)
- Sure, it says "current" anyways. – Wulla (talk) 00:54, 13 February 2008 (UTC)
- Agreed. The following can go in my opinion:
* Policies and guidelines for the wiki are being proposed and discussed.
* The Identify Friend or Foe initiative has been launched.
* Special weapon event odds are being researched.
* Search odds are being researched and summarized.
* Trader stocks are being reported.
* Class-specific skills are being charted.
* Important locations are being logged in the Parchment Pages.
* Get an overview of towns with the Derby Evening Press's Guide to Towns.
* Shartak MetaMap: Creates a map of the island from user input.
- The problem is that many of these are not "current events" but should stay in the main page. Eg wiki policies (can go to "wiki info" box), IFF (to "Basics" maybe?), search odds ("Game Info"?), the Parchment Pages ("Basics"), the Guide to Towns ("Basics"), the MetaMap (maybe a new box "Maps" and put UBER MAP there also). --Oktavius 01:35, 13 February 2008 (UTC)
- Then we should find other ways to make those items available on the home page - if they're not 'current activities' then users might not look for them under that heading. --Johan Crichton 04:08, 13 February 2008 (UTC)
- With the addition of a "Recent wiki changes" area made byIbn al Xuffasch, I feel that the projects and activities box is two long, making empty space below the description box and hiding the navigation links below. I'll remove the "Current wiki activity", "Animals accuracy is being recorded," as I put this up. I suggest others be deleted as well, and perhaps the three on theories, search odds, and weapon event odds be combined, with a link to the Research Category.
Changes to the main page
Please consult with other wiki users before making any significant changes to the items on the main page. --Johan Crichton 04:07, 7 November 2008 (UTC)